Create an instance and database
Create a schema for the database
Cloud Spanner: Qwik Start
Cloud Spanner is a fully managed, mission-critical, relational database service that offers transactional consistency at global scale, schemas, SQL (ANSI 2011 with extensions), and automatic, synchronous replication for high availability.
Cloud Spanner offers:
- Strong consistency, including strongly consistent secondary indexes.
- SQL support, with ALTER statements for schema changes.
- Managed instances with high availability through transparent, synchronous, built-in data replication.
Cloud Spanner offers regional and multi-region instance configurations.
What it's good for
Cloud Spanner is ideal for relational, structured, and semi-structured data that requires high availability, strong consistency, and transactional reads and writes.
Other storage options
Here are some common scenarios where you should probably consider an alternative to Cloud Spanner:
- If you do not want a strongly consistent and horizontally scaling relational database. Consider other storage offerings listed at Storage Options in Google Cloud and Data Lifecycle on Google Cloud.
- If you need an open source database.
This hands-on lab shows you how to create a Cloud Spanner instance, database, and table; add a schema, write and modify data, and run a query.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.