Getting Started - App Maker
Building and maintaining business applications is hard, requires specialized programming skills and is massively time consuming. That's what we once thought but now, with Google App Maker, everyone can build amazing business applications in a fraction of the time with little to no coding experience.
What You'll Build
This lab walks you through creating your own App Maker app. Your app will have a Google Cloud SQL Database, Google Maps integration, Mobile Responsive Design; fully published and ready to use.
In this lab, you're going to build a Business web app using Google App Maker. Your app will:
What You'll Learn
- How to design and construct an app using the Google App Maker Editor.
- How to setup Cloud SQL data models.
- How to interact with Google Maps.
What is Google App Maker?
App Maker is a low-code application development tool that lets your organization build and deploy custom enterprise applications easily and securely, on the same platform that powers G Suite.
How Can I Help You?
App Maker makes it easy for citizen developers and non-traditional programmers (including analysts and system administrators) to build apps for their organizations. It can help create streamlined processes by eliminating tedious data entry or mounds of paperwork. One of the most popular uses for App Maker is for replacing massive and difficult to manage spreadsheets with a true database. What we have seen is that a lot of businesses from lack of a better solution, are trying to run a spreadsheet like it was an app. Thousands of rows of data, complex attached forms for submitting data and no good way to manage access to view, edit and modify data in a spreadsheet brews problems. App Maker solves this and many other business needs by putting your data in a system that is built to scale up, have granular security and an extremely flexible aesthetically pleasing user experience that makes it easy and enjoyable to do your work.
A Few Things About App Maker
- App Maker is a low-code application development tool that lets you quickly build and deploy custom apps tailored to your organization's needs. The idea is to develop Apps FAST.
- 100% on the web ready to go.
- Utilizes drag-and-drop UI and point-and-click data modeling to accelerate your app development efforts.
- Provides built-in support for G Suite products as well as popular services such as Maps, Contacts, Groups, Gmail and more.
- Can leverage other Google Cloud services such as the Directory API and Vision API, or third-party APIs.
- The goal is to focus on delivery, not infrastructure: App Maker is built on the same secure and trusted infrastructure as G Suite apps like Gmail, Drive and Docs.
- Has been used by Google internally for more than 6 years; Google has built over 600 applications on App Maker and continues to develop more today.
- Uses Google Cloud SQL.
- App Maker is for your business only; there is no current support for public application releases.
- You can export and share copies of your Apps to be used internally by other businesses
- App Maker uses the same permissions and security as Drive.
- App Maker Apps can be installed in the G Suite App Launcher.
What You Will Need
A recent version of Chrome. Note, this works in other browsers as well, but we'll be using a few features of the Chrome DevTools to view and test mobile responsiveness.
Content donated by AppMakerUniversity.com where we believe you can build apps.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.
Upload specified directories named as 'models' and 'pages' which are exported from your app.
Verify data model and user interface