High Availability PostgreSQL and Kubernetes with Google Cloud
Cloud SQL is a fully-managed database service that makes it easy to set up, maintain, and administer your relational PostgreSQL and MySQL databases in the cloud. Cloud SQL offers high performance, vertical scalability, and convenience. Hosted on Google Cloud Platform, Cloud SQL provides a database infrastructure for applications running anywhere.
Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) is a managed environment for deploying containerized applications. It brings Google's latest innovations in developer productivity, resource efficiency, automated operations, and open source flexibility to accelerate your time to market.
In this lab, you will deploy a highly available and quickly scalable "meme generator" application. You will accomplish this by configuring a Postgres Cloud SQL database and connecting it to a Kubernetes cluster. This data storage/computing combination is highly effective and serves as a popular choice for application frameworks.
In this lab, you will:
- Create a Kubernetes cluster.
- Create a Postgres Cloud SQL instance.
- Make a Cloud SQL instance highly available and trigger a failover to test availability features.
- Connect the meme generator application to a Cloud SQL database.
- Deploy the application using the Cloud SQL proxy.
- Containerize the application and deploy it with GKE.
This is an advanced level lab. You should be familiar with the basic functioning and architecture of Cloud SQL instances, GKE, and containerized applications. Proficiency with Cloud Shell and standard CLI tools is required.
This lab will cover advanced Cloud SQL and GKE features, so please at a minimum take the following labs before attempting this one:
Once you're ready, scroll down and follow the steps below to get your lab environment set up.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.