VM Migration: Lift and Shift
Google Cloud’s four step structured Cloud Migration Path Methodology provides a defined, repeatable migration path for users to follow:
Assess the current environment to gain a solid understanding of existing resources and define migration move groups.
Plan how to move your apps and create the basic cloud infrastructure for your workloads to live. This planning includes identity management, organization and project structure, networking, sorting your apps and developing a prioritized migration strategy.
Deploy the existing on-premise or cloud based servers in GCP leveraging one of Google Cloud’s recommended migration tools like Google’s Velostrata or CloudEndure’s Live Migration Tool
Optimize your newly migrated workloads to realize the true cost benefits and operational efficiencies that GCP can bring to the enterprise
This lab focuses on the “Deploy" phase and how to deploy your basic infrastructure on GCP.
What you'll learn
In this lab, you will perform a lift and shift virtual machine migration of an application and database server from one GCP region to another by leveraging CloudEndure's Live Migration solution and underlying continuous block-level replication technology. This exact process can easily be replicated when migrating to GCP from another cloud or on-premise datacenter provider.
More specifically, you will learn how to:
- Review and understand how to migrate a working, two-tier application consisting of an application and database server.
- Deploy the CloudEndure Live Migration Agents on an application and database server.
- Replicate and migrate an application and database server to a different region within GCP.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.
Generate a JSON Service Account Key for the “Compute Engine default service account
Install the CloudEndure agent on “app-server” and “source-mysql-primary” VMs.
Verify creation of two VMs through VM migration cutover
Access the application