Managing Traffic Routing with Istio and Envoy
With Istio, you can manage service discovery, traffic routing, and load balancing for your service mesh without having to update your services. Istio simplifies configuration of service-level properties like timeouts and retries, and makes it straightforward to set up tasks like staged rollouts with percentage-based traffic splits.
Istio’s traffic management model relies on the following two components:
- Pilot , the core traffic management component.
- Envoy proxies, which enforce configurations and policies set through Pilot.
These components enable Istio traffic management features including:
- Service discovery
- Load balancing
- Traffic routing and control
In this lab, you will learn how to perform the following tasks:
- Review Traffic Management use cases.
- Understand ingress configuration using an Istio Gateway.
- Generate traffic, and use Kiali to view routing to multiple versions.
- Download open source Istio with sample configs, and
- Apply default destination rules, for all available versions.
- Apply virtual services to route by default to only one version.
- Route to a specific version of a service based on user identity.
- Shift traffic gradually from one version of a microservice to another.
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Google Cloud Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.